Every day, interior design trends keep evolving. In contemporary design, lines, neutral colours and bold statement pieces are common favourites.
Colours are a fundamental of design and certainly, the use of colours go a long way in determining the look and feel of the home.
If you are renovating or redecorating your home and you are thinking of going contemporary, here are a few tips to help guide your colour choices.
- Stick to neutral: Use neutral colours such as white, black and pastels as your background colour. This gives the home a clean, chic, modern and sophisticated look. Light colours makes the space look airy and bigger while dark colours make the space look more intimate
- Go bold: When accentuating, go with bold colours. Bold, bright accessories go well with neutral colours and give the eyes something to feast on. It’s the little extra that takes your home from boring to fabulous.
- Avoid too many complex colours and patterns: This makes your environment over stimulated and tires the eyes.
- Pay attention to ambience: Different part of the homes require different look and feel. For example, while a bedroom should be warm and relaxing, a living room should be exciting and energizing. This should also reflect in your choice of colours for different parts of the house.
- Be PRACTICAL: The importance of this cannot be overemphasized. While a particular colour scheme might seem great in your head, this does not mean that it would work for your circumstances. For instance, if you have pets or little children, using white or similar colours will not be a practical way to go.
Overall, ensure that you are comfortable with the colours in your home. Your entire home design reflects your personality and mood, so don’t hesitate to let the real you shine through.